Saturday, August 31, 2013

Jeoji Oreum




On the island of Jeju there are over a hundred oreums, or parasitic volcanos, that surround the base of Hallasan, the large dormant volcano located in the middle of the island. Many of these oreums are opened throughout the year and are laid with hiking trails.

Today I climbed Jeoji oreum, my dorm's namesake. This oreum is a little different because the middle contains a giant crater where the top must have blown off when it erupted at some point in history. The crater is now filled in with dense foliage and there is a set of around 1000 stairs from the top of the oreum to about halfway down into the crater.

Many other groups of people and couples were hiking Jeoji today. Most of the women were covered from head to toe in swish pants and windbreakers, with hats, sunglasses, and gloves. I wore a tank and shorts and even then the heat was uncomfortable.

I didn't see much wildlife on the oreum, which is fine with me. There were some large blue butterflies and what looked like moths. No surprises there. Yesterday on my run I came across some wild dogs (/farm dogs?) and farther along was a baby deer carcass, which was a little gross.

My goal during these five months is to climb many different oreums and eventually I want to climb giant Hallasan.


Farms at the base of the oreum


Other side of the crater, across the oreum

View from the top, facing Eastward. You can see Hallasan in the distance

View of the ocean and farms,  facing North-West

There are another couple of oreums in the distance. The big one in the center is also visible from my room at school.

View across the crater




No comments:

Post a Comment